Thursday, December 11, 2008

life according to darby

a couple weeks ago we lost darby for about 3-4 hours. after a couple hours of searching and worrying, a neighbor received a call from friends in the neighborhood adjacent to ours to inquire if they knew who the dog on their porch may belong to. i think the following story perfectly describes what darby must have been thinking that day.

An older, tired-looking dog wandered into my yard; I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home and was well taken care of. He calmly came over to me, I gave him a few pats on his head; he then followed me into my house, slowly walked down the hall, curled up in the corner and fell asleep. An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out. The next day he was back, greeted me in my yard, walked inside and resumed his spot in the hall and again slept for about an hour. This continued off and on for several weeks. Curious I pinned a note to his collar: ' I would like to find out who the owner of this wonderful sweet dog is and ask if you are aware that almost every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap.' The next day he arrived for his nap, with a different note pinned to his collar: 'He lives in a home with young children, 2 under the age of 3 - he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?'

i've attached several random pictures tonight. one of allison walking in mommy's shoes. she actually did very well shuffling along in my crocs. managing to bend over and toss aside random cable cords that were in her path.






















second picture was taken at davis's direction after seeing another picture like it on the computer.

another of davis reading dad's rotarian magazine after taking a bath. he's starting early on mapping his plan for world peace.
























a couple pictures from picking out a christmas tree. here i am reminded that no matter how hard you try to keep everything in order, have everyone dressed, ready to go and out the door on time, nothing in our life is ever in order. always turned upside down, backwards or inside out. (motion to admit: davis's non-reversible hat and tag.) welcome to our crazy life.

No comments: